In my organization the values of Loyalty,
Duty, Respect, Selfless Service, Honor, Integrity, Personal Courage go a long
way and a standardize code to follow. In the Army we ensure that all seven of
these values are met in every single task we do both in and out of uniform. We as
soldiers represent our organization, country, island, and most especially our
families. I really enjoyed the first video “Excerpts from the ethics guy”
because he simply stated the truth of what every person in an organization
experiences. Giving criticism is one aspect for an individual to learn and
develop. The Ethics Guy (2012) discusses about apologizing, where owning up to
your mistakes represents the type of person one is when they are able to fix the
mistake and ensure it would not happen again.
One example of a behavior that portrayed
as positive was when I was deployed in Afghanistan, my boss at the time hand
chose me to lead a specific mission requirement in which I was excited to do.
At the time, it seemed as if I bit off more than I can chew and I was finding
difficulty in accomplishing my tasks. The reason being is that my boss gave me
almost 15 missions a day and my staff was finding difficulty balancing times.
So one day I denied all mission requests and my boss got whiff of it. When he
brought me in his office he was irate as to why I made that decision. I simply
told him we were overwhelmed and his response after really changed my life
forever. He told me that “no matter how much work is thrown at you, balance
chaos with concentration, balance your workload, and balance your life. I leave
you with the key word Napu of Balance.” His criticism of my complaining really
helped shaped me to be the leader I am today. He helped me to understand what I
did was unethical and was not allowed to disobey a directive order to accomplish
the tasks for my unit.
The negative example where someone was
unethical in my organization was when an officer who outranks me tried to put
influence in my decision of letting a soldier go. The soldier had habitually
failed his PT test and it was grounds for removal of the Army. This particular
individual was the brother of the officer who outranks me and his brother tried
talking to me and tried everything he could to make me change my decision. From
threats to bringing it up to our general to bribes of doing favors, the officer
would have done anything to save his brother, but the bottom line was that my
soldiers did everything they could to help the individual but the individual
did not help himself. So I stuck by my decision because it was ethically right.
References:
YouTube (Poster, The Ethics Guy;
Uploaded August 24, 2012)
No comments:
Post a Comment