The three virtues from Benjamin Franklin that I will reflect
on are silence, humility, and justice. To begin with the virtue of silence. I would
like to conduct this in my daily life because of my quick reaction of answering
people back, always questioning things at the wrong time, and simply always
having something to say. I believe that I can include this in my daily life by
simply understanding my audience and only speak when needed. Too many times I get
too passionate in a listening situation where I really should just keep my
mouth shut, but almost all times I have something say. Especially when it comes
to meetings where decisions need to be made, when a decision is being up for
discussion if it does not benefit me or my staff I always challenge it when I should
just be quiet. I need to understand that there is a time and place for
everything.
The second virtue I would like to incorporate in my life is
humility. I like to be the limelight sometimes and work my but off to be number
one and like to show it. I need to find that common ground of being humble but
work hard at the same time. I like to let others know my accomplishments from
all the hard work I have done to get it which to some is seen as boasting but
to me is trying to set the example. I think maybe it is my approach when I engage
in conversation with others but no matter the case I need to practice just being
that silent and humble man. No matter what I accomplish the man up above can always
take that away, and showing humility is something I should do more. The
organization I am in especially in the officer corps, it is such a competitive
workplace almost cut throat, and that is why I believe I act the way I act.
However, I should just let my work explain myself instead of me boasting about
it making it seem as if I was better than others. Morris (2005) stated “Given
its potential importance in generating organizational and leader effectiveness,
humility may offer a new lens through which to view and understand the
leadership process.” (p. 1323)
Then finally justice, too many times I have seen justice in
my organization slip and I am just as guilty. I serve in position of power and
ill admit that there are times where I let power get involved. I need to
reflect on this or apply it because justice requires balance and fairness
across the board. I have relatives in my organization although they do not fall
under my supervision I do at times save them from trouble. If the “shoe fits”
then they should be held to the same standard as everyone else instead of me
sticking up for them. Justice sees no sides nor relationships, if there is an
issue it must be handled accordingly. That is what I need to do, I need to
understand that there are consequences and everybody needs to learn from them
to become better.
These are three of the thirteen virtues but I know I can incorporate
all in my daily activities. I like to touch a little on moderation. I have this
self-fulfilling need of wanting “more.” I need to realize that simply having
enough or the basics will suffice so long as my family is fed and they have
house to live under. This activity has made me self-reflect in a way of me
actually changing and changing for the better and good.
References:
Morris, J. A., Brotheridge, C., & Urbanski, J. C.
(2005). Bringing humility to leadership: Antecedents and consequences of leader
humility. Human Relations, 58(10), 1323-1350. Retrieved from
http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/231523313?accountid=27203
No comments:
Post a Comment