A634.3.4.RB_Manglona, Matthew-Napu_The Harder They Fall
Reading Kramer’s (2003) article “The Harder They Fall”
brings a self-reflection on my part. From experience I know firsthand what the
author discusses on the need for power, the window of success narrows as you
rise, and the competition increases as you go up to the top. In America, hard
work is the message that is preached throughout our lives because examples of
all our heroes who are successful whether it be a professional sports star,
your parents, or simply a person who is successful that you look up too it all
ties into hard work. Yet, I caution on all the glory and accolades that come
with that hard work. The article’s title sums it up all perfectly, that bigger
you are the harder you will fall.
I have learned through my experience that when you start
rising to through ranks (in the Army) the window of mistakes gets smaller, the competition
gets stiffer, and the expectations rise. Kramer (2003) stated “The process of
getting to the top almost always changes people in ways they don't anticipate
or appreciate.” I worked my butt off to get where I am currently, that is why I
continue to get my education and try to separate myself from my peers. My grind
to the top has affected those around me as well. I could remember I would stay
late for work and miss family functions, currently I bury myself in my computer
and books for class which affects my wife and kids at times.
In my workplace there are a lot of backstabbing that occurs
for one to come out on top. We call them bus drivers because they simply would
throw your name and reputation to those who are in charge and blame you for
their failures or the group’s failures. What happens does someone with power
want the most? More power in my eyes. It becomes an addiction that they cant
help and it eventually leads to their downfall which is what is wrong in
society majority of the time. Kramer (2003) stated “Leaders who've "made
it" suddenly have to start coping with lavish expense accounts, travel in
corporate jets, and a plethora of other compensations” which eventually leads
to their downfall. This applies to society majority of the time. You read,
watch, and see individuals who do not live within their means. Look at all
these pro athletes who go bankrupt after making millions. Their rags to riches
mentality sometimes makes them forget that their success would be temporary if
they are not smart about their choices let alone how they treat others.
In my personal life, I have learned that I have to count my
blessings and remain humble at all times. That is where my spiritual growth
comes into play, I always tell myself that the man upstairs gave me what I have
and can easily take it away, which is my mindset. Upon further reading of the
article I really enjoyed Kramer’s (2003) “have it all” approach. Keeping
simple, floating trial balloons, sweating the small stuff, and reflecting more
are now new tools that I can put in my tool box. I really enjoyed this article
as an eye opener for me, because my journey to the top is relentless, I have
set a goal in mind and I will not stop until I achieve it. It is once I get
there is where I would have to remember where I come from.
References:
Kramer, R. M. (2003). The Harder They Fall (Links to an
external site.) . (cover story). Harvard Business Review, 81(10), 58-66.
No comments:
Post a Comment