A634.4.4.RB _Manglona, Matthew-Napu_ Is Affirmative Action Ethical?
I have always heard that term affirmative action growing up
and never really understood the concept. The possibility of coming from a small
island where majority of everyone comes from the same race it never really
applied to us as a majority. LaFollette (2007) stated that Affirmative action
is “the practice of giving special consideration to minorities and women in
hiring and school placement.” (p. 1372) In my opinion, it really depends on the
location where one wants to apply for affirmative action to take place. Other
than that, I think affirmative action really doesn’t apply in today’s world
because of the continuing shifts in our societies’ views. Today, I see
organizations as one big melting pot and affirmative action is slowly dwindling
down to near extinction. Boddlie (2016) stated “The nature
of the diversity rationale is that our interactions provide opportunities to
help us understand one another better.” (p. 130) this is why I think its great
to have diversity in our educational institutions and in our workforce yet not
because it has to be done based off affirmative action. Understanding no matter
race, sex, or religion people’s work ethics come from how they were brought up
and the attitude that comes with it. There should be fairness across the board
no matter what race or color you are, everybody should be on a merit list to
ensure a better selection process.
The opposing viewpoints as LaFollete
(2007) discussed as a reverse of discrimination of the majority simply because
of their race. (p.1376) So really race is the negative light that shines on
affirmative action. I agree, people should not be hired based off race, but
sadly that is how it goes. You cannot believe that a black person should be
hired because he’s black or white person cause he’s white. If I was a hiring
manager it simply goes down to who the most qualified is, if the colored person
isn’t then there shouldn’t be any argument. This is a testy subject to discuss
but it has to be confronted face to face. LaFollete wrote “that blacks may
“deserve” compensation in a cosmic sense, there are empirical and moral reasons
why the passage of time dissipates any reason for whites to compensate blacks.”
(p. 1414) I hate to say it like this, but affirmative action to me is like a
hand me down or because of my history I am entitled to receive a job.
Affirmative action in my opinion should
be done away with and shouldn’t be labeled or appear to be the crutch for those
of color. I know that I work hard for my job and my opportunities. If I don’t get
picked or land a new job I wont assume it is because of my race or color. Meshelski,(2016)
“If even quotas do not violate our principles of equal
opportunity and procedural justice then no other form of affirmative action can.” So is affirmative action ethical? or is a smoke screen for those who seek entitlement? As stated before there needs to be a balance and non bias approach when it comes to the hiring process and from an ethical standpoint there needs to be fairness across the board.
References:
Boddie, E. C. (2016).
the future of affirmative action. Harvard Law Review, 130(1), 38.
LaFollette, H. (2007). The Practice of Ethics.
Malden, MA: Blackwell Publishing.
Meshelski, K. (2016). Procedural justice and affirmative
action. Ethical Theory and Moral Practice, 19(2), 425-443.
doi:http://dx.doi.org.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/10.1007/s10677-015-9633-1
No comments:
Post a Comment