Sunday, 2 April 2017

A634.2.4.RB - Theories of Ethics

A634.2.4.RB_Manglona, Matthew-Napu_ Theories of Ethics



Consequentialism and Deontology are two different concepts when it comes to ethics and ethical decisions. Consequentialism as defined by LaFollete (2007) is the concept of making a decision based off choosing the right consequences that follow, whereas, Deontology is our actions being influenced by moral rules and rights which drift away from consequences. We as leaders go through this process without even knowing these terms exist.

I could remember in reference to consequentialism on some of the decisions I was making, I ensured that I was aware of the action(s) after the fact were visible for me to see and understand. If I was to make a decision I would have to understand that their will first, second, and third order of effects if the situation was complex in the decision making process. Sreekumar (2012) stated “Conforming our actions to certain rules that are themselves justified by the fact that our conforming to them will tend to bring about, all told, the best consequences in the sum total of situations in which we find ourselves.” (p. 283) what I take from this is we so long we use the guidelines of policies and rules emplaced we should always see the right decision being made. However, sometimes we have veer off from those rules and policies because the best consequence won’t be in line or in sync with each other. Like when I want to buy a car, questions are always thought, “what is the resale value ten years from now? Is this car going to last me a long time? If I go with the cheaper one, I save money but might break down on me later. These types of questions ultimately will be the foundation of ensuring the best consequence is met. In reference to ethics, consequentialism does not have to all consequences looked at or considered equally and morally obligated to produce the best consequences. (LaFollete, 2007)

Deontology is the concept of following moral rules, Lafollete (2007) stated “Deontologists content there are strict moral limits on what we can do to others. Consequentialist do not.” (p.390) the only issue with Deontology is that although they follow moral rules, their concepts share some similarities with consequentialism with reference to weighing the different moral values. Like when someone calls you out to fight, the moral thing to do is walk away and tell the other person no. However, what happens when he approaches you and lays a hand on you? Is morally okay to defend yourself? Those are the weighing options to include if you fight back to defend yourself, is there a possibility you too will be arrested? Even if you were in the right (in most people’s eyes) to defend yourself? Liu (2010) stated “morality should not be based solely on the consequences of an action and that there are immutable rights and duties that everyone must follow.” (p. 16)

The concepts of these two ideas (Deontology and Consequentialism) all derive on the belief of moral rules and consequences weighing each other out. What I mean from that is we should be able to understand in the consequence view which is the best decision moving forward. Which consequence provides the best results, Deontology is the weighing of the moral view, on which is the best moral decision to make when a situation presents itself such as the example I provided above.  



Reference:
LaFollette, H. (2007). The practice of ethics. Malden, MA: Blackwell.

Liu, B. S. (2010). What moral dilemma? the use of deontology and consequentialism to justify moral intuitions (Order No. 1474539). Available from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global. (305185678). Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/docview/305185678?accountid=27203

Sreekumar, S. (2012). An analysis of consequentialism and deontology in the normative ethics of the bhagavadgita. Journal of Indian Philosophy, 40(3), 277-315. doi:http://dx.doi.org.ezproxy.libproxy.db.erau.edu/10.1007/s10781-012-9154-3

No comments:

Post a Comment